Monday, April 07, 2008

a broken chi


Last week the unthinkable happened . . . my Chi Original Hair straightening and smoothing iron broke. Walker tried to jump the cord, and it crashed to the floor, cutting an eight year relationship with my poofy hair short. As I mourned it's death, I began to reflect on how different my life is now than it was eight years ago.






Then I had a Chi; Now it is broken

Then I drove a new, clean jeep; Now I drive a messy, old subaru filled with baby gear


Then I wore awesome designer shoes; Now I wear birkenstocks and crocs


Then I applied Trish McEvoy make-up daily; Now I apply Burt's Bees lip balm daily


Then I ate Patrizio and LaMadeline; Now I eat grilled cheese and Chick-fil-A


Then I frequented Northpark; Now I frequent Wes's house and the Arboretum


Then I gardened and decorated my home; Now I watch HGTV


Then I worked out daily; Now I don't


Then I dreamed about chasing elusive items; Now I sleep dreamlessly


Then I read "Pride and Prejudice"; Now I read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child"


Then I doted on my labradors; Now I try to remember to scratch Bella's ears sometimes



My life was certainly different before babies, but I'm pretty sure now is better than then. Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't take a car wash, a pair of hot shoes, a good work-out, and an afternoon read!








4 comments:

Brenda said...

I am still amazed at how much a life changes after kids. And there are so many more changes on the horizon

Brenda said...

A D80 is a type of Nikon camera. (DSLR) It is the kind that you can get lenses for and it has so many capabilities. It shoots super fast. At least 3 frames per sec. Comes in handy when shooting toddlers on the move. My sister and I do photography as a side thing and you great results with a D80. If you want to know more about DSLR camera's you can check them out a review on the D80 here.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/

Stephen, Haley and baby Isla said...

I can relate to this post much more now than I could have a month ago! And I know this is only the beginning!

I can't believe how big your kids are!! Its so sad to me that I don't see them almost daily anymore (well Walker at least - Sophie June we barely even met!).

Alison said...

Sorry about your hair styling tool. I have heard that you will be a lot calmer if you get a new Chi made in Thailand. That's right. Thai Chi. Ha ha! I am so funny.

I did take something from your little poem or literary device of whatever you call it. You noted that you sleep dreamlessly. I seem to dream sleeplessly, mostly about a job. Maybe I could take Lindsay's hours over 40? Better for both of us, huh?